Sunday, February 12, 2006

Lasting Learning

God continues to teach me so much. There's always more to learn. I love that I can never reach an end to Him, there is always more. He is so great that I will never be able to know Him in all His fullness until the day of Christ Jesus. How amazing. I know that this often frustrates people, but over time I've realized that it is part of the mystery and wonder of God that we should celebrate. I wish I could share with you all that God's teaching me, but I think that would require you living my life, so I guess I will try and share a little that I feel may challenge you. I finished reading Kyle Lake's book "Understanding God's Will: How to hack the equation without formulas" today. It's a great book, and I would encourage you to read it for yourself. It sort of confirmed and reaffirmed things that I had been learning from God more recently, a fresh view of God's will that isn't some huge puzzle for us to try and figure out through some complicated strategy. In the book, Kyle shared a prayer by Thomas Merton, a 20th century monk and poet. It really struck me, so I thought I'd share. Maybe it will minister to you in some way too... You are all in my prayers!


My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.

I do not see the road ahead of me
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following Your will
Does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I belieive that the desire to please You
Does in fact please You.

And I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this,
You will elad me by the right road
Though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust You always,
Though I may seem to be lost in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for You are ever with me,
And You will never leave me to face my struggles alone.

~Thomas Merton, 1915-1968

3 comments:

James Morrow, Secretary General of United Nations said...

Ok, so yeah... I feel like that prayer is MY life all over again... I mean, so many peeps know where they think God is leading them,as far as future life and school and stuff. but I am not sure what God wants me to do(which you and I have talked about)..
So i want to let you know thta that prayer is a great encouragment to me, just like you are... :-) Love you hun

Anonymous said...

Funny, that Amberly and I were talking about the same stuff...the endlessness of God and how we're always learning that there's more to learn and that sometimes we want so desperatly to be in God's will and feel like we have no idea what's comming, but we will trust anyway--even when trusting means believing that something contradictory to present circumstances is truth...anyway, it was really cool to read your post and see so many of the words we had just spoken to each other there...I love you, babe...and pray for you often :o)

jess said...

thanx.