Thursday, October 30, 2008

Counting my blessings

Today started in a panic. The small group that I lead has met several weeks this semester at 6am due to scheduling conflicts. We had scheduled to meet today at my apartment at 6am. I woke up at 8am and remembered what day it was. Oops. I immediately checked my phone. No messages. Did they all oversleep as well? I texted them all an apology and wondered if they had showed, surprised that I hadn't got any calls. Well, two out of the three had shown up, knocked, received no response, assumed they had missed a memo from me, and left. The other overslept as well. Sorry girls :(. Gratefully, they are gracious and forgiving and didn't hold it against me that they got up before dawn without reward. After kicking myself for that faux pas, I hurriedly got ready for work and rushed out the door.

Work was a bit hectic today, but the kids were extra affectionate towards me, and it blessed me tremendously. Something that I have always thought is absolutely precious is when a child says to me, "I wanna hold you" (meaning they want you to pick them up). The thing is, for me at least, their statement is true. I always wonder if that child really knows that when I wrap my arms around them and they lay their head on my shoulder, they are the ones holding me and showing me that I'm treasured. One of the moms commented to me that her daughter was going to be devastated when I leave at the end of the semester. Oh, how I will miss her "holding" me...


After I left work and made a quick stop at home, I headed to Starbucks to meet Sarah to study for a bit. While we were there, some alumni were trying to access the campus wireless network and couldn't because they didn't have a password. I spent a few minutes helping them, and a little while afterwards, the man came and handed me a Starbucks gift card. I jokingly told Sarah that that is the third time in 2 days that God has answered the desire of my heart for Starbucks ;). What an unexpected blessing.


While I was with Sarah, I found out that a book I requested on interlibrary loan had come in. The exciting part is that it gives crucial information for my thesis--the draft of which is due Monday. The book couldn't have come at a better time. I was thrilled.

Later, I got to meet Ashley for coffee (once again, at Starbucks). We really haven't gotten to spend time together this semester and I was so encouraged by our conversation. Another blessing in the bag.

My beloved brother called me and I got to talk to him about things going on in his life and in mine, and he dealt with my being a little spaced out during parts of the conversation and I just enjoyed talking to him for a good while. I talked to him about some of the little blessings God had given me that day, and also about some of the things I was praying for wisdom about--a large one being a job for after I graduate.


I kid you not, immediately after I got off the phone, I checked my email, and I had an email about possibly setting up an interview for a position I applied for in the Dallas area. Whether it works out or not, I was once again blown away by the many simple things that God used today to remind me that He is faithful.


As I shared with Ashley tonight, I want to lean on the promises of God that He gives for those who seek after Him earnestly instead of buying into the false promises that sin offers me. Today was just an example to me of God's redemptive power and bestowing of grace... from waking up thinking I'd blown it... to turning in for the night feeling incredibly blessed.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

hey..........wow........ur graduated...........where did time go? It just seems like yesterday since you went off to baylor..........long time no talk. please comment back when you can and if you can