Sunday, April 06, 2008

Pursuing My Pleasure

Through studying both Jeremiah and listening to/reading some of the words of John Piper, I have been continually confronted by and confirmed in the truth that God's fame and renown are made large in my life as I pursue my pleasure in Him. When I find my pleasure in Him, I show Him to be great. The devastating truth is that far too often we are too easily pleased and satisfied with cheap imitations of pleasure rather than seeking the eternal satisfaction that Christ is. Both today in the Highland College Ministry study of Jeremiah and a message that I listened to by Piper, the heartbreaking verses of Jeremiah 2:12-13 were employed. Check em out:
"'Be appalled, O heavens, at this, And shudder, be very desolate,' declares the LORD. 'For my people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, to hew for themselves cisterns, broken cisterns that can hold no water.'"
How deceived we are in thinking that any satisfaction we may receive from something else can compare to the satisfaction that is found in God Almighty. All joy and satisfaction is found in Him, and it is a devastating and desolate reality felt by the heavens when we forsake Him and seek to create our own means of satisfaction in other things. Oh, may we see and embrace the truth that He is the well that never runs dry instead of foolishly digging and toiling and trying to hold brackish run-off in a broken cistern.




No comments: